All Soldier’s Soups are made with canned and or dried ingredients. The ingredients can be shipped to your favorite soldier for cooking in a coffee maker. These soups are also great for college students living in dorms and office workers, that are tired of fast food and want a hardy lunch. And they make great Camp Food.
Gourmet Soldier’s Split Pea Soup (Cooked in the Pot)
Cook time, app. 4 hours. The same as a slow cooker.
2 cups split peas (one 16 oz bag)
4 cups broth or water
1/4 tsp minced onions, dry
1/4 tsp pepper
1 sm can carrots
1 1 lb canned ham (you may only be able to get 1/2 of it in the pot)
insulate the pot
- Wrap the coffee pot with a double layer of foil, do not cover the bottom.
- Take an 18 inch piece of foil, fold it in half lengthwise and wrap it around the pot.
- This will help raise the temperature of the contents in the pot.
Never put a hot pot on a cold surface, put it on a pot holder or a towel.
Never use a metal spoon in your coffee pot. Always use a wooden or plastic spoon, the glass is delicate and you don’t want to break it.
cook and stir
- Add the peas, broth, onions and pepper to the pot. Give it a stir. (wooden or plastic spoon)
- Put a double layer of foil on top of the pot.
- Put the pot on the burner and stir after about 10 minutes. (wooden or plastic spoon)
- Stir every hour bringing up the peas from the bottom. (stir to make sure they all get cooked well)
- Cook for about 2 hours, add carrots and stir well bringing up the peas from the bottom.
- Cook for 2 hours more, until split peas are done to your liking.
- Add the canned ham, cook until hot. (You may not be able to get it all in the pot.)
This is only 1/2 of the canned ham, so the whole ham might not fit.
Caution: Never put a hot pot on a cold surface, if you need to put it down not on the burner, put it on a hot pad or a towel.